Monday 6 January 2020

School Fees (Mary)


Hi,

My name is Mary and I come from East New Britain Province, Papua New Guinea. I am currently undertaking Bachelor of Nursing, year 2 at an institution that I cannot mention. I am the eldest of 5 children born to two wonderful parents who have spent their entire lives educating primary school students across Papua New Guinea. I am the first in my family to have made it to an institution of such, and one of those many who are fighting to survive against sorcery practiced by a select few of my own village people who are uneducated, filled with jealousy, and tend possess the mentality that ‘all of us should stay the same way’.

I recently received my school fee invoice and was shocked at the site of the amount written on it. I mean, K22,000.00 (PGK)? That is a lot of money for even myself. I swear, I made up my mind to never show my parents that but my Mum pleaded with me to do so and I couldn’t help it so I just showed her. The expression on her face when she saw the amount broke my heart into pieces and I cried myself to sleep that night.

I decided to withdraw and I told my boyfriend, who was also a student there, but he called me on my cell phone the very next day and begged me not to do anything rash because miracles can happen when you let God fight your battles for you, despite the short period of time that you may have. I struggled to pray about it but I knew He was also praying for me and that gave me the courage and confidence I needed to be patient and to wait on the Lord.

Two days later, while I was searching and inquiring around for sponsors, my mum sat me down and told me that ‘we cannot let you withdraw or give up now. You have come too far and you deserve to have our support all the way. You will go back to school, I will make sure of it”. A newfound peace settled within me and tears of joy ran down my cheeks. I was trying to give up on myself when the people who love me would never give up on me? Thank you God.

My Mum and Dad have two months to find the amount of fees required to be paid before I can register. I know that it will not be easy for them because of the harsh reality of life that average Papua New Guineans face, concerning money. I, however, strongly believe that God will make a way.

The struggle is real.

No comments:

Post a Comment