Monday 6 January 2020

School Fees (Pirika)

My School Fees

My name is Pirika. I come from the Gulf province of Papua New Guinea. 
I am the 3rd of three children who were raised by two hard-working and committed mothers. One is educated and employed while the other is not, but both manage to put food on the table every night for as long as I can remember.

I am currently doing a Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing, and this is my second year. It is that time of the year where school fee invoices get issued and transcripts are released. I went to get mine last week Friday at the school and I noticed that my fees had increased from the price it was at last year to about K13,000.00 (PGK). This is equally divided by two to accommodate for the two semesters of the academic year. The fee for semester one is about K6,500.00 (PGK) while the fee for semester two is the same. Sadness engulfed me as I thought of my Mothers and how they would have to pay all that.

Knowing the amount required to be paid is one aspect of the problem, the other is the timeframe in which you had to pay. It takes roughly two months before the scheduled date for registration – the first week of March – and 80% of this fee for semester one has to be paid prior to that. The same goes for semester two.

If you think my situation with school fees is the worst, it is not, because I do not live on campus. I am a day student. When you look at the life of a boarding student, it is much, much worse. They have to pay up to about K22,000.00 (PGK) in one year.

Money is a commodity of high scarcity in a country like Papua New Guinea. With the rich getting richer, the poor getting poorer, nepotism, and other related issues, we will suffer from poverty very soon. In this third-world country, money amounting to K13,000.00 (PGK) is not easy to come by in just two months.

The struggle is real.

No comments:

Post a Comment